A social media video can run from 1 second to many hours in length. Each social media platform is different. Understanding the differences and best practices for each social media platform is important. Knowing the ideal length for video can be challenging. Master these best practices for the most engagement on all social media platforms.
General Best Practices
- You have to have Video. As published in the Digital 2022 report, watching videos is the fourth most popular reason people use the internet. If you do not already have a video strategy, you should.
- The video should be clear. There is a finesse to video. The audio should be crisp and audible. And you should have clear visuals. Design elements should not detract from your images.
- Use captions. The Digital 2022 report explains that 30% of users aged 18-34 are watching videos with sound more than ever before. However, captions should be included with your video for the other 70% that are watching. Make sure your captions are accurate and grammatically correct.
- Be dynamic. You want to deliver impact in a brief, easy to digest format. To get your messaging across and not lose your viewer, use pop songs as an example. The pop song hovers around the 3-minute mark. Videos that garner more engagement, are brief. Studies show our attention spans are dwindling more and more as a result of the Internet.
Now that we’ve covered best video practices, let’s take a closer look at the best length and the different video options by platform.
Video: 1 minute
Try to stay at 1 minute if you can help it. If you must create a longer video, stay in the 2-to-5-minute range. Keep it brief and dynamic, with interesting imaging that can’t be missed.
Stories: 15 seconds
The maximum length for Instagram stories is 15 seconds per slide. Do not exceed 7 slides if your messaging needs multiple slides. Ideally, 3 slides per story is the sweet spot. Again, keep it brief and be sure to include a call to action.
Reels: 15 – 60 seconds
The secret to having your audience watch your reels to entirety is to capture the viewer’s attention within the first few seconds. Unlike the other Instagram video formats, Reels are meant to create viral moments and instant impact videos. Before you start a Reel, you select between 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 45 seconds or 60 seconds video.
Video length: less than 1 minute
To create content to go viral, keep your videos at less than one minute or stories that are less than 20 seconds. Long form videos can also perform well on Facebook. The Facebook algorithm is geared toward native video content. For the best performance, upload your videos directly to make the most of the algorithm.
Video length: 7 – 15 seconds
TikTok of course, is a quick video platform. Here, you’ll want to get as much information, in short, attention-grabbing content. And the sweet spot with TikTok is 15 second bites. Enough time to get a viewer’s attention before you see drop off due to length. Then there is TikTok’s 7-second challenge. This short content on TikTok also performs quite well.
Video length: 44 seconds
The sweet spot on this Twitter is 44 seconds. Grab your viewer’s attention as a prelude to a YouTube or Vimeo link which can showcase a longer format video.
Video length: 2 minutes
With this platform the length of your video will be dictated by what you are looking to achieve. If you are looking to monetize your YouTube videos, the minimum requirement is 10 minutes. This aligns well with longer vlog content. But, if your goal is to create viral moments, then you should stick to the 2-minute mark.
Video length: 7 seconds
Snapchat was created to be a quick moment. A snap, if you will. The maximum length of a normal post is 10 seconds, aim for 7 second posts for the best results on Snapchat.
Now that we have a better understanding of best practices for social media video by platform. What will you create? Need some inspiration? We can help you achieve your social media goals. Contact us to learn how we can help.