Choosing The Social Media Platforms That Are Best For YOUR Business
The only constant in social media is change.
New platforms emerge; existing platforms evolve, adding features and enhancing experiences…but the question for local businesses is, “do I need to be active on all of these platforms?”
The answer is… You likely don’t need to be on every social media platform that’s available.
When it comes to choosing social media platforms that are the most beneficial to your business, choose ones that:
- Are format/demographic driven. Who are your fans and how can you expand your footprint?
- You have the time and resources to dedicate to. A poorly tended channel in some ways is worse than not having one at all.
- Are in-line with how you want to interact with your audience.
Recently, Hootsuite.com outlined 100+ social media demographics that matter in 2021.
According to them:
- 32% of all Facebook users are ages 25-34
- 51% of all Instagram users are Female
- 67 million Americans are on Twitter
- 82% of Snapchat users are under 34
- 72% of America’s internet users engage in Youtube
- 32% of TikTok users are 10-19 and 29% are 20-29
Your audience will also vary slightly from platform to platform, so it’s important to tailor your content strategy accordingly. As for the most popular social media platforms, keep in mind:
Twitter Is A Headline. Keep your content short, sweet and to the point.
Instagram Is A Photo Or Video Photo Reel. Make sure your content is both visually appealing and engaging.
Facebook Is A Conversation. Use Facebook as a tool to communicate both with your audience and those in your industry.