From 2010-2015, the average human attention span has shrunk by a third from 12 seconds to 8.25 seconds!
Focus, easier said than done!
Do you find yourself working on a multitude of projects at the same time and then in the middle, just kind of slump into your chair and scroll for a bit? Have you lost your focus?
You may think that having a ton of tabs open is multitasking but, in truth, it’s not. In fact, we don’t have the ability to multitask, we are focusing on one task at a time briefly. And guess what? That focus time is shrinking! Additionally, we humans, are easily distracted.
Our friends at Wyzowl have created a cool infographic on the shrinking of the human attention span.
Why does this mean for marketers?
Brands trying to grab the attention of their target audience must be purposeful when creating content. There are ways to hold the attention of your audience.
- Make sure your messaging is clear.
- The user experience should be positive. When designing your website, make sure navigation is easy.
- Use video and rich media to engage the user.
Why is focus so important?
As content creators it’s more important than ever to work on that ever shrinking amount of time we have to catch our fans before they go off and chase that squirrel. When we create content we need to focus on what makes content engaging.
- The Hook? What did you write or did you shoot that would grab the attention of your listener?
- Is it Unique? Does it bring a different perspective to a topic? Can you give your take on a local occurrence?
- Is it Valuable? Does the content allow the listener to think and engage? Does the content teach them something? Does the content make your listener want to share the new info?
If we have a great hook, with content that’s unique and can provide value to your audience, then you have captured the user’s attention, even if it’s for that 8.25 seconds.
Let’s talk about how Alpha Media can help you build a marketing strategy that will encourage engagement. Contact us for a no cost site and media needs evaluation. We pride ourselves in that we work with our clients to identu=ify their goals and put together a strategy to reach those goals.